1.18.2011

Heaven and Hell


This book is a must read for all Christians!  We are reading this book in a study right now and the more I read through it, the more amazed I am at what people (including supposedly christian scholars) view about hell.  Here are a couple example quotes from those who are fighting against the thought of hell.

Philosopher Bertrand Russell wrote:
"I do not myself feel that any person who is really profoundly humane can believe in everlasting punishment.  It is a doctrine that put cruelty into the world and gave the world generations of cruel torture."

John Wenham, a notted evangelical Greek and New Testament scholar, stated in a 1991 conference:
"I believe that endless torment is a hideous and unscriptural doctrine which has been a terrible burden on the mind of the church for many centuries and a blot on her presentation of the gospel.  I should indeed be happy if before I die I could help in sweeping it away."

Clark Pinnock said:
"I consider the concept of hell as endless torment in body and mind an outrageous doctrine, a theological and moral enormity.  How can Christians possibly project a deity of such cruelty and vindictiveness?  Surely a God who would do such a thing is more like Satan than like God."

Isn't it sad the extent that some people go to in order to argue against a doctrine that is so thoroughly written throughout the Bible?  The Bible speaks more on hell then on God's love!  It definitely has been a thought provoking study so far.  Donnelly starts the book talking about hell, then moves toward heaven and believers.  In a world that belief in hell has almost disappeared, we need to be fully equipped to stand for what is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I really enjoy hearing from you! Please be sure to check back after you leave a comment as I like to respond back.